1 (850g) Fish Head, cut into 2-4 pieces
2 tbsp Desiccated coconut, roasted, pounded
3 tbsp Oil
1 stalk Lemon grass, bruised
1 Pandan leaf, torn, knotted
750 cc Coconut milk from 1 coconut
5 Carambolas, halves
10 Salam leaves or bay leaves as substitute
Lime juice and salt
- 10 Dried red chilies
- 1/2 tbsp Chopped turmeric
- 1/2 tbsp Chopped ginger
- 7 Shallots
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Coriander, roasted
- 1/2 tsp Cumin, roasted
- 1/4 Aniseed, roasted
- 1 tsp Peppercorns, roasted
- 1 tbsp Dried Carambola
- Rub the fish head with lime juice and salt, and let it stand for 1/2 hour.
- Drain, then rub the fish head with pounded coconut.
- Heat oil and sauté ground spices, lemon grass and pandanus leaf until fragrant, then add coconut milk.
- Allow to simmer.
- Add fish head and carambolas, and bring to the boil.
- Stir from time to time, then add salam leaves.
- Simmer until the fish is cooked and the gravy is a little oily.
- Serve hot.
Note : If there are no dried carambolas available, use 1/2 teaspoon tamarind juice.