- 1 fish or fish steaks weighing 2 kg (4.5 lb)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 10 red chillis
- 8 shallots or 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- A piece of root ginger or 1 tsp ginger powder
- 1.5 cups tamarind water
- Clean the fish and rub it with the turmeric and salt.
- Seed the chillis and cut them lengthwise into two.
- Slice the shallots (or onion), garlic and ginger.
- Put the garlic and ginger with half the sliced shallots and five chillis at the bottom of your fish pan.
- Lay the fish or fish steaks on top of these.
- Put the remaining chillis, shallots, garlic and ginger on top of the fish, and pour the tamarind water over everything.
- If you are using ginger powder, disolve this in the tamarind water first. Add some more salt. Cover the pan and cook slowly for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Shake the pan gently from time to time and make sure the fish is not burnt.
- You can add a little more water during cooking if you think the fish is becoming too dry and is in danger os burning. This fish should be served the next day, cold.
- Remove the solids that have been cooked with it, put it in a serving-dish and garnish with sliced tomatoes.