Yield: 6 servings
|3 ½||pounds||Chicken, in pieces|
|5||Shallots, peeled and finely sliced|
|4||Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely sliced|
|1||pinch||Of Sereh powder *|
|1||pinch||Of Laos powder *|
|1||pinch||Of grated Nutmeg|
|Salt to taste|
|Oil for deep-frying|
- Put all the ingredients except Oil in a large heavy pan.
- Bring to a boil then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the chicken and leave to cool.
- Heat the Oil in a deep fryer to 350 deg.
- Fry the chicken a few pieces at a time for 10 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve hot.
From "The Encyclopedia of Asian Cooking" Indonesian section by Sri Owen
* Available at Asian markets and in the Asian section of some supermarkets. If you can't find them don't worry, the recipe will still work OK. The Javanese seem to like their chicken pretty well done and chewy. I prefer mine a little more tender and fry it for a bit less than ten minutes. It has been a while since I made this, but I believe about seven minutes is enough for me. This chicken is delicious and also good cold. Make lots of it.