- 1 large eggplant
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced or chopped
- 4 tbs (50g) chopped onion
- 1 1/2 (400ml) fresh ripe tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10ml) fresh red hot chili peppers
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 2 tbs (30 ml) vegetable oil
- Cut the eggplant into long quarter-round strips. Bake them at 400F or 200C for 20-25 minutes, or until they are soft but not mushy.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the onion, garlic, tomatoes, salt, sugar, peppers, and water, and mash with a wooden spoon until it forms a coarse paste.
- Fry the tomato paste in the oil until the liquid is reduced (about 10 minutes).
- Pour the sauce over the eggplant, and serve immediately.