Indonesian Curry dishes that use turmeric should be called "Kari". But "Gulai" dishes don't always use turmeric, as shown in the recipe below.
10 large shrimp, cleanded
1 bunch petai (stinking beans), peeled
1 tbsp Java Tamarind
1 tbsp sugar
500 ml coconut milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
3 tbsp cooking oil
4 cloves garlic
6 pcs pecan
6 pcs red chili
6 pcs bird's eye chili
1. Heat the oil.
2. Stir fry blended ingredients until fragrant and cooked.
3. Add shrimps, continue to fry until the shrimps change color.
4. Add coconut milk, Java tamarind water, sugar, salt and pepper.
5. Cook to boil and until the solution thicken.
6. Add Petai (Stinking Beans), stir well, and dish up.