Manadonese loves spicy & hot food, if you think this dish is less spicy, try add more chillies from what have been written below.
The crispiness of the fish depends on your frying technique. Some people love eating it with crispy taste but some doesn't, so I leave it all to you...
- 3 mackerel
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp palmsugar (gula jawa)
- 2 tbsp rice vinager
- 3 salam leaves
- 2 jeruk purut / kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cm jahe (ginger)
- 3 shallots
- 3 cm laos (galangal)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 red lomboks (large chilies)
- Pound or grind the ingredients for the seasoning into a paste.
- Cut the tomatoes in thin slices.
- Heat in a wok the oil and fry the fish brown and done.
- Put the fish on a plate.
- Add the bumbu (seasoning) and fry it for 3 minutes.
- Then add the salam, the jeruk purut, the tomatoes, the palmsugar, the salt and the rice vinager and let it simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the fish and serve.