This Spicy Chicken Dish Recipe is adapted from "The Bali Cookbook: Over 100 Delicious Recipes from Bali's Most Famous Chef"
- 1 chicken, about 2 3/4pounds
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup sambal pelecing (recipe follows)
- Cut the chicken in half lengthways and rub both halves with 2 tablespoons oil and some salt.
- Grill the chicken 3/4 cooked.
- Fry the chicken until fully cooked.
- Place the chicken on a dish.
- Heat the remainder of the oil in a wok and fry the sambal pelecing for about 3 minutes.
- Mix the cooked chicken with the sambal.
- Serve with rice.
Sambal Pelecing (Pelecing Chili Sauce)
- 2 medium shallots, peeled
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- About 3/4cup long red chiles, destemmed
- About 30 thai chiles, de-stemmed
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- 1 teaspoon roasted dried shrimp paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Juice of 2 kaffir limes
- Blanch the shallots, garlic and chiles for 1 minute in boiling, salted water.
- Chop them with the tomato into small pieces and transfer everything to a mortar.
- Add the shrimp paste, salt and sugar, and pound to a fine paste.
- Heat the oil in a wok, and fry the sambal.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the lime juice over the sambal.