Carp fish is often used to prepare the dish, but I personally prefer Patin Fish (Silver Catfish) it's more greasy and tasteful.
- 1 kg whole fish (carp or snapper)
- 1 chopped tomato
- 1 stalk green onion
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 5 salam leaves
- 50 g kemangi leaves (sweet basil)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbl. salad oil
- banana leaves or aluminum foil to wrap
Spice paste, grind the following ingredients:
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 shallot
- 2 cm ginger
- 2 cm turmeric
- 50 g fresh chili pepper
- 5 candlenut
- 5 g tamarind
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 25 cc water
- Scale and clean the fish.
- Take out the intestines but not the egg.
- Make three diagonal slashes on each side of the fish for spice paste flavor to immerse.
- Marinade the fish with salt and tamarind for 15 minutes then wash the fish with a bowl of water to remove excess salt.
- Add cooking oil to the spice-paste, mix.
- Coat fish with spice paste.
- Put kemangi leaves, salam leaves and sliced lemon grass for the flavor.
- Wrap the fish in banana leaves or aluminum foil.
- Steam with medium fire, 30 minutes. Use pressure cooker for faster cooking time and better taste.
- Let it cool and grill the wrapped fish over charcoal fire.
"Green Mangoes and Lemon Grass: Southeast Asia's Best Recipes from Bangkok to Bali"