- 5 tablespoons Oil
- 100 g Young cassava leaves, boiled until tender, cut into serving pieces
- 1.5 kg Chicken
- Banana leaves or aluminum foil for wrapping Spices (ground)
- 7 Red chilies
- 5 Bird's eye chilies
- 5 Candlenuts, roasted
- 10 Shallots
- 1 teaspoon Dried shrimp paste
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Coriander, roasted
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Sliced lemon grass
- 2 teaspoons Peppercorns
- tablespoon Chopped galangal
- 1/2 teaspoon Powdered nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Chopped turmeric
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 teaspoons Chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chopped lesser galangal
- Salt and sugar
- Heat oil and sauté the ground spices until fragrant and dry.Set aside and allow to cool.
- Divide into 2 parts.Combine 1 part with cassava leaves.Stuff the mixture into the chicken and secure with toothpicks.
- Rub the chicken with the remaining ground spices.Wrap the chicken with banana leaves and tie with a string.
- Grill in the oven at medium heat (180oC) for 2-3 hours or until cooked.Remove from heat and cut before serving.
- Note : Another way to cook the chicken is to steam it for about 45 minutes before grilling in the oven for 1 hour.
- Betutu is a special dish from Bali. Usually the Balinese use duck wrapped in banana leaves, and wrapped again with stalks of palm leaves.
- The duck is then buried in the ground and covered with hot charcoal for 6-7 hours until cooked.
The picture is originated from :