This is a special dish from Northern Sulawesi, Manado, Indonesia. You love spicy food ? This is for you...
- 1 Whole fish, weighing a total of 2 lbs. together (Either mullet, snapper, or mackerel) (up to 2)
- 3 Chiles
- 3 Candlenuts (substitute Brazil nuts)
- 1 Piece ginger root, 1 inch long
- 1 large Ripe tomato, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- 1 Lime, juice of
- 2 tbps Chopped mint
- 4 tbsp Shopped green onion
- 2 tsp Salt
- From Sri Owen, "Indonesian Food and Cookery"
- Clean the fish.
- Pound the chiles, candlenuts, and ginger together into a paste.
- Add all the other ingredients, and rub the resulting mixture onto the fish, inside and out.
- Wrap the fish in foil, refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Bake in a 375 F oven for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, unwrap the fish and put under the grill for 5 minutes.
The picture originates from: