This is a Traditional Batavian Salad, delicious and yummi.... really should try..
- 1/2 cup peanut oil
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon Goreng Bawang/Fried Shallots
- 2 cakes tofu, each cut into 6 pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 or more tablespoons Sambal Kacang/Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 pound bean sprouts
- 1/4 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 8-10 emping crackers (Optional)
- In a nonstick frying pan, heat the oil and fry the tofu for about 5 minutes, turning them over once. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain in a colander.
- Clean the bean sprouts and put them in a bowl. Pour boiling water over them with a little salt. Cover and leave for 3 minutes, then drain and keep them warm. In the same oil, fry the potatoes until crisp.
- To serve, arrange the fried tofu on serving plates with the potatoes, slices of cucumber, and bean sprouts. Top with the parsley. Pour as much sauce as you like on top, crush or break the emping over it, and sprinkle on some fried shallots or onions as well.