- 6 large chicken legs or breas, deboned
- 2 stalks lemon grass, crushed
- 2 bay leaves (salam leaves)
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds (ketumbar)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (jintan manis)
- 2 tbsp thick coconut milk
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients to grind:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 red chilli, seeded
- 2 cm knob tumeric
- 120g lengkuas, peeled and sliced
- 4 slices ginger
- 3 candlenuts (bush keras)
- Fry coriander seeds over slow fire till fragrant then grind coarsely.
- Wash chicken and drain well. Prick chicken all over with a fork.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground spices with ground cumin, coriander, salt, sugar, coconut milk and crushed serai. Add chicken and mix thoroughly. Leave to marinade for 30 minutes.
- Grease base of cooking pot with some cooking oil. Arrange chicken in pot, add crushed bay leaves. Cover pot and cook over moderate heat for 8 minutes. Turn chicken over, cover pot and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until almost dry. Remove chicken and drain off excess liquid.
- Grill or roast chicken on high heat, 250 deg Celcius until golden brown on both sides.