8 oz fresh green beans
8 oz bean sprouts
1 can bamboo shoots
1 cup fresh grated coconut
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 tsp chilli sauce (sambal ulek)
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp lime juice
- Wash bean sprouts, pinching of any brown tail.
- Pour boiling water over bean sprouts, then rinse under cold water tap.
- Drain well.String beans and cut diagonally or bite-size lengths and cook in lightly salted water until just tender. Beans should still be crisp to bite.
- Scrub carrot and cut into thin strips, cook until tender. Drain well.
- Slice cabbage, discard the center stem.
- Blanch in boiling salted water for a minute or two, until tender but not limp. Drain and refresh with cold water.
- Cut bamboo shoots into strips the same size as the beans.
- Place fresh grated coconut into a bowl, add onion, chili sauce, salt, lime juice and the shrimp paste which has been grilled for a few minutes, or heated in a dry frying pan.
- Mix thoroughly together.
- Sprinkle this grated coconut mixture over vegetables, reserving some to garnish the dish when served.Put vegetables in a steamer and steam for 5-8 minutes.
- Put the steamed vegetables to a serving dish/platter and sprinkle with reserved grated coconut mixture.
- Use as an accompaniment to a meal, or as a salad by itself.